Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Mark 16:15
The Crean Lutheran High School Admissions Committee reviews each application holistically, taking into account the unique gifts and talents of each student. Applications should follow the step-by-step procedures outlined below in a timely manner.
We encourage our students to engage in the wide variety of curricular and extra-curricular activities we offer. Students can grow and compete in 26 varsity sports, or take part in our robust Visual and Performing Arts program, or both! We also provide ample opportunities to connect in various student clubs and service organizations; all to increase the marketability to top colleges.
Another exciting time on campus happens during the Spring Semester and is the Crean Lutheran High School International Week, in which, for an entire week CLHS students and staff intentionally look across the world and learn about the amazing variety of cultures and their distinct hallmarks. Current international students are encouraged to teach their fellow students about their own culture, and the vast kingdom of God is glorified!
Finally, because we know education happens outside of school as well, we take a proactive stance in assisting students find appropriate hosts as well as communicating regularly with families. We are honored that you would see fit to send your student to Crean Lutheran High School and intentionally communicate important details about your student’s progress. We also host conferences as yet another way to connect families of international students to campus.
CLHS’ International Department is proud to offer a very personalized approach to counseling and guidance, as well as student management and monitoring. Our goal is to make sure our students are taking full advantage of the American Schools system. So we maintain close connections with both the students and their families and/or guardians to make sure they are staying on top of their studies, and also connecting broadly across campus.
Crean Lutheran High School’s International Department strives to provide excellence in counseling and guidance. During the admission process, we thoughtfully assemble an academically appropriate schedule of classes that are aimed at developing student’s intellectual gifts and talents, as well as their English language skills.
CLHS’ International Department also provides important graduation checks throughout a student’s four years to make sure they are keeping pace with, and exceeding requirements. During their Freshman and Sophomore year, a student is exposed to the various tracks of education CLHS has to offer. Junior year involves an intentional meeting about preparing for the college admissions process as well as assessing a student’s grades and courses. And finally, in a student’s Senior year, the staff makes sure the student is ready to finally graduate at transition to a top college or university.
We are excited to offer a personal touch in all of our efforts. As we guide and counsel each and every student, we take into account the specific gifts and talents of our students, and attempt to lead them to classes, colleges and universities that will continue to develop these skills after they have graduated.
First of all, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to you and your family, from the entire Crean Lutheran community, for taking the time to explore the unique brand of education we are excited to offer.
Allow me to introduce myself, I am Mrs. Sherrie Lah, and I am Crean Lutheran High School’s Director of International Admissions. I feel very blessed and honored to be serving in this capacity, as well as a counselor at CLHS. I believe that God has been preparing and training me for many years through my service in the Language Minority Programs in the Irvine Unified School District.
With my experience working with a very broad range of students, parents and colleagues, I hope to serve the crucial needs for intercultural education in an ever-more diverse community. International students, with their varied backgrounds and viewpoints, enrich the student body of CLHS, and help our collective community develop a wider global perspective and prepare them to become leaders in an increasingly multicultural world.
I am a graduate of Ewha Woman’s University where I received my B.A. in English Literature. I received my M.S. at Pepperdine University and my PPS credential at National University.
I am also blessed with a wonderful husband, Jehy, and two amazing children. My daughter, Sahngmie, received her B.A. at Harvard University and M.A. at Columbia University, she and her husband recently welcomed my Grandson, Aspen, into the world. My son, Jung, received his B.A. and M.A. at Stanford University. Both Sahngmie and Jung are working in the field of education. Jehy and I are faithful servants of the Lord at Bethel Korean Church in Irvine, California.
CLHS’ International Admissions Department’s overall goal is to provide support, encouragement, and guidance to all of our international students so they have an optimal learning experience, achieve their lofty goals, and enrich the overall CLHS community. Thus, CLHS welcomes international students from all around the world who are seeking F-1 Visas for a full, 9th through 12th grade academic experience, as well as J-1 Visas for a one-year study abroad experience.
At this point, Crean Lutheran High School currently integrates 140 international students from 16 different countries into the Saints student community. We currently have students from Korea, China, Japan, Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Peru, to name a few. Our international population is 20% of the Saints family. We desire to grow our international department at that percentage as CLHS continues to develop to our maximum target of 1200 total students.
Crean Lutheran High School places a high value on preparing students in and for a real world environment which is reflective of our rich and wonderful multi-cultural world all under our Lord's grace and mercy. CLHS’ faculty and staff are encouraging to the international students, helping to equip them to strive for their very best.
International students at CLHS are well-rounded in their education. They are mainstreamed into regular college preparatory courses. They can also choose from a wide range of opportunities of curricular and extra-curricular activities such as: athletics, drama, choir, orchestra, fine arts, AP courses (Advanced Placement), honors courses, and even UC and Cal State approved college-level courses taught on CLHS’ campus by nearby college professors. Getting involved, both academically and socially, is highly encouraged!
Finally, CLHS’ International Department provides a robust array of services, helping to ensure that every single international student achieves success academically, socially, spiritually, thereby realizing the plan that God has set before them. The program offers individualized counseling, including college and career planning, guiding motivated students to top colleges and universities. The International Department also works closely with teachers and parents/guardians to monitor student’s academic progress.
It is my hope that together, we can realize the goal set out in Mark 16:15, where it is written, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.”
Cordially in Christ,
Mrs. Sherrie Lah
Director of the International Department
- Step 1: Apply Online
- Step 2: Application Review & Interview
- Step 3: Notification of Admission Decision
- Step 4: Enrollment
- Step 5: I-20 Processing
- International Application Packet (Download)
- Create a username and password through Crean Lutheran’s online admissions portal.
- Click here to fill out the application.
- Complete and submit Student Application online.
- Submit $300 (non-refundable) application fee.
- Log in to the admissions portal, and complete the Admissions Checklist.
- Click here to download the application packet.
- Family Information Verification Formmust be completed and signed by parents. Scanned copy must be emailed directly from parent’s email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a signed copy of the Request for Recordsform to your current school. All transcripts from other schools must be official in sealed envelopes. An official English translation must accompany all academic records.
- Invite your current English and Math teachers (via email) to complete and submit teacher recommendations online.
All documents submitted through the portal must be scanned, NOT photographed.
- Upon receipt of all documents, student applications are reviewed individually by the Admissions Committee.
- In person or Skype video interview will be scheduled in a timely manner for those who qualify.
- Prior to an interview, we may deny any application that does not meet the criteria for acceptance.
- Accepted students will be invited to complete the registration process online.
- The signed Letter of Intent to Enroll form must be submitted within two weeks from the date of acceptance, along with the $550 registration fee and $1,200 international summer program fee (both non-refundable after March 1).
- All new international students are required to attend international summer program, which begins at the end of July.
- Upon completion of the enrollment process, an acceptance packet will be mailed to the student which will include the student's I-20.
- New international students should immediately make an appointment with the US embassy for an F1 Visa interview.
- Full annual tuition and the health insurance fee are due by May 1, 2019.
- For transfer students, Crean Lutheran's I-20 will be issued after the student's SEVIS record is released from their current school.
NOTE: Crean Lutheran High School supports all students. In order to meet the needs of our International students, CLHS has established an International Department which provides comprehensive resources for this diverse population of learners. Students who enroll at Crean Lutheran through the International Department will retain their status as “international student” for the duration of their tenure, and the international student tuition policies apply for all four years.